Tuesday, April 4, 2017

How I Manage To Stay in Shape While Filming Races Around The World

Stay in Shape While Traveling, Beachbody on Demand, Accountability Groups, Free Fitness and Travel Tips, Beachbody Tips, Beachbody Coach Travel, Digital Nomad, Online Beachbody Coach, How to Stay In Shape While Traveling
Filming at Shale Hill Adventure - Vermont

Well, I'll have you know that it's no simple task, and I can't tell you that I stay committed everyday, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I can share with you.

When I travel from race to race, and from country to country, it can get very exciting, but it can also be a bit stressful to my mind, body, and spirit.

EASY EXCUSES

It was so easy for me to say things like:

-  I'm traveling today, so I'll just make this a rest day
-  There isn't enough room in the place that I'm staying so I won't workout today
-  I traveled all day yesterday so I need to catch up on some work
-  I can't find a gym nearby, and I don't want to spend money for an uber/taxi/bus etc to get to one
-  I'm sore today, so I'll just lay in bed

REAL LIFE RIGHT HERE

I'm sure that I'm not the only one making excuses, but yes, its tough but the one thing that I've learned is that if I want to be happy and healthy, and want to be able to mark things off my growing bucket list, that I won't be able to do that if I am fat, sick, and unhealthy. So what do I do? I force myself to get uncomfortable. Is it easy? HECK NO!

MY SECRETS

Let me be upfront with you. There are no fitness secrets out there. It's all about hard work and dedication, and something that most people don't event think about.....finding people who think like you. Yeah, I know...it can be tough to find people to workout with you while you're traveling, but it's not impossible. The first thing to do is just ask people. Huh? Yeah, most people just assume that when people travel, all they want to do is drink, party, and sleep....but I know better because I've met so many people who think the opposite, and all I did was ask.

Interviewing Mr Mouse from Tough Guy - Wolverhampton, England
Stay in Shape While Traveling, Beachbody on Demand, Accountability Groups, Free Fitness and Travel Tips, Beachbody Tips, Beachbody Coach Travel, Digital Nomad, Online Beachbody Coach, How to Stay In Shape While Traveling


IT'S ABOUT THE SMALL THINGS

Here are some things that I do to keep me in shape while I travel the world filming races for my cause-related media project:


1.  I take the stairs everywhere that I go, and never the elevator, escalator, or anything that would give me an advantage. Now if I'm at the airport and I'm about to miss a flight, I will get on that fast track thing, but I'm hustling and either running or fast walking, not just standing on the right side watching people walk on the left of me.

2.  When I'm on an airplane or any mode of transportation, I tend to do a lot of calf stretches because my calves can get pretty tight while traveling. So I'll simply straighten my legs (one at a time) as much as I can (benefits of being short I guess), and just rotate my feet, point them up and down, etc. This keeps me moving and my calves loose so they won't swell.

3.  When I have long layovers, I will literally find a small area and do either a short stretch or full body strength and conditioning workout. Sometimes I will pay money to go to the lounge so I can get more privacy, but these people don't know you, and you'll probably never see them again. Plus, you may find someone to workout with you. I've done a quick T25 workout from Beachbody on Demand, and it always just makes me feel good...25 minutes and I'm done.

Hanging out with friends at a hostel in Zurich, Switzerland
Stay in Shape While Traveling, Beachbody on Demand, Accountability Groups, Free Fitness and Travel Tips, Beachbody Tips, Beachbody Coach Travel, Digital Nomad, Online Beachbody Coach, How to Stay In Shape While Traveling


4.  Lot's of times I stay at hostels and camp sites. At hostels, there isn't a lot of room especially if you are in a dorm room. So I basically try to look for a nearby gym and ask for a free trial pass, or even find a nearby fancy hotel and pay for a day pass and go to town on my P90X workouts. Working out at camp sites are very easy, there is a lot of space to run and do a lot of body weight resistance workouts. I sometimes will bring resistance bands or my TRX, it all depends if I'm traveling domestic or international. I only travel with one small carry on which can also pass for a personal item. I travel light with only my camera equipment, and a few clothes. Toiletries can always be bought anywhere, so I don't even pack that stuff. I film a lot of races, and just use those free race shirts while I travel, and i'll leave them behind if I feel that it is too much to carry in my pack when going back home. I never pay for check in baggage, NEVER...that's how light I travel =).

Free 30 Day Trial - Cancel Anytime!

5.  Staying at Airbnb's and hotels are definitely easier and I can never make an excuse to not workout because I have my own room. Unfortunately, because I travel 7 months out of the year, staying at Airbnb's and Hotels are like a luxury to me, it doesn't happen all the time. I will mostly do an Insanity or P90X workout, or simple run on the treadmill. I love it when the hotels have their own gyms, it makes it easier to workout, which I prefer Body Beast workouts at the gym. I do love doing my workouts outdoors, but when I've been outdoors filming races all weekend, sometimes I'd rather just stay indoors.

Hotel Gym Workout - Body Beast
Stay in Shape While Traveling, Beachbody on Demand, Accountability Groups, Free Fitness and Travel Tips, Beachbody Tips, Beachbody Coach Travel, Digital Nomad, Online Beachbody Coach, How to Stay In Shape While Traveling


6.  When I travel and stay at places for a long period of time, I tend to explore and find out where the best outdoor parks are. Some of these parks have great running trails with fitness equipment along the running path. I've found other parks to have some amazing outdoor gyms for as low as $1. Being outdoors is definitely what I love the most, so I will always prefer an outdoor park over an indoor gym any day.

7.  You'll be surprised of how many free group fitness classes are out there. I will simply google free workouts and find all kinds of free group fitness classes to attend. Most of these are donation based but it's always worth it. Get a better workout and run to the class instead of using public transportation.

8. When I am out sightseeing or exploring, I try do everything myself instead of using a tour guide or tour company. For one, you save a lot more money, and you will see a lot more because you will be on your own time, and not the time set by the company. Now because you will not book through a company, you may have to look for your own transportation, you may get lost, and you might have to hike longer etc. But if you want to see things off the beaten path, and get fit at the same time, then DIY travel should be on the top of your list.  I normally choose tours or activities that keep me active such as Volcano Hikes, Walking Tours, Bike Tours, and Surf Trips etc.

Concepcion Volcano Hike - Nicaragua
Stay in Shape While Traveling, Beachbody on Demand, Accountability Groups, Free Fitness and Travel Tips, Beachbody Tips, Beachbody Coach Travel, Digital Nomad, Online Beachbody Coach, How to Stay In Shape While Traveling


9.  Lastly, if I cannot workout for some reason, or I am literally just being lazy, the least I can do is make sure that I am eating super healthy that day. I mean it's always a good idea to eat healthy all the time, but I'll admit, when I travel...I enjoy eating the local foods and an occasional beer or wine. It's ok to live your life, but remember...you only have one life and one body, so take care of it and moderate the junk foods.

10.  I lied. One last thing. I am part of of an online community of people who I coach. Now even though I coach these people with their health and fitness, it doesn't mean that I am anywhere near perfect. My online community inspires me, motivates me, and keeps me accountable while I travel. They are a constant reminder of why I decided to become healthy and fit in the first place. They remind me that coaches aren't perfect and we need help too. It's so important to find the right people to surround yourself with, and an online accountability community at your finger tips will do the trick, that is if you make it a priority. It's like having you're own personal gym and motivators (cheer squad) everywhere you go. If you need to be a part of one, ask to join my group, it's always free =)

AND THAT'S ABOUT IT

Traveling and getting fit is only difficult if you make it difficult. If you use my tips above as a guideline, it will help your travels be a lot more enjoyable, and you won't miss out on a lot of EPICNESS because you were too out of shape to make it up the mountain.


Safe travels, and I hope to see you somewhere around the world.

Filming in Monterrey, Mexico
Stay in Shape While Traveling, Beachbody on Demand, Accountability Groups, Free Fitness and Travel Tips, Beachbody Tips, Beachbody Coach Travel, Digital Nomad, Online Beachbody Coach, How to Stay In Shape While Traveling






No comments:

Post a Comment