Wednesday, August 24, 2016

6 Extinct Obstacle Course Races I've Filmed and Miss!

6 Extinct Obstacle Course Races I've Filmed and Miss, The End of Battlefrog Series, Monster Challenges, Extreme Nation Hobie Call, Vintage Obstacle Course Races, Atlas Race Kansas, Filming OCR with GoPro, GoPro Filmmaker, Obstacle Race Training with P90X

So I've been making obstacle course racing (OCR) videos with my GoPro since 2011, and I've not only seen the FAST-GROWTH of this sport, but I've also witnessed the decline and extinction of many race companies, as well as athletes who have come and gone. I've filmed many athletes from their very first race to when they hit OCR Celebrity Status on national television. I was there when OCR wasn't even cool, we didn't know what to call it back then. I was pointing cameras at everyday people in mud way before NBC Sports and ESPN got involved. I've seen this sport grow from the VERY beginning, and it's been an amazing journey.

I'm not the type of person who get's involved with the politics of what goes wrong, and why decisions are made, that's not my cup of tea. If you've seen any of my videos, you will notice that I just focus on the positive side of things, and try to just share the sheer beauty of the sport. OCR has changed my life in many ways. I have met some wonderful people, and have experienced the most beautiful and toughest places on the planet, and it just saddens me when I see companies fold.

I create videos to help the sport grow, and when race companies fall from the face of the earth, I feel sadness for the athletes, as well as the companies. I look back at some of my "terribly-edited" videos from the past, and all I can see is joy. What other industry can get average people off the couch to pay hundreds of dollars to get tortured on a Saturday, and for some races...a whole weekend? OCR! =)

6 Extinct Obstacle Course Races I've Filmed and Miss, The End of Battlefrog Series, Monster Challenges, Extreme Nation Hobie Call, Vintage Obstacle Course Races, Atlas Race Kansas, Filming OCR with GoPro, GoPro Filmmaker, Obstacle Race Training with P90X

I know first-hand as an entrepreneur how difficult it is to run a company, so I understand that it's all about the bottom line. Companies do care about their fans, but they have lives and families too, and I think people sometimes forget about that. The only thing that we can do is respect each other's decision, and stop being judgmental about things that do not benefit us in a positive way.

I appreciate everything that these companies have strived for. They do what I love doing which is ripping people off the couch and making them feel more than just someone who has a 9-5 job. It's about regaining happiness, being humans again, sharing it with others, and that's how OCR has grown as one of the fastest growing sports in history.

I also do not believe in just one company. I do not call myself just a "Spartan" or a "Tough Mudder", I am an OCR fan. I believe that in order for this sport to grow much bigger than it is today, we need to stop criticizing other races and embrace what each of them are doing. People hate burpees, like they hate their jobs, but guess what, that's what is putting a roof over their head right now. When you do a burpee, it's a challenge, and whether you like doing it or not, the bottom line is that it is changing you, and isn't that what you wanted to do in the first place when you signed up for an obstacle race?


I see so much negativity with the industry, and I just block it all out because I only choose to see the bright side of things. I know that asking everyone to be positive is impossible, but if I can just help one person see the light of day, then I feel that it's a start.

I mean, if we had more people who would just be more positive, open-minded and choose OCR, instead of just ONE company, then we would probably have more amazing OCR options to choose from versus watching the companies that we love become extinct.

Love the sport, love OCR, it's time to help it grow. #OCRForLife

Here are the 6 Extinct OCR's that I've filmed and miss:
*OH, and don't laugh at my old videos, I had to start somewhere =)

EXTREME NATION

SUPERHERO SCRAMBLE

HOG WILD MUD RUN

MONSTER CHALLENGES

BATTLEFROG SERIES

ATLAS RACE


Which race series do you miss? Feel free to comment below. Watch more videos on OCRTUBE, click here! 

See you at the next race! 





No comments:

Post a Comment